Savourybooks

Savourybooks

London.

The Cardturner: A Review

The Cardturner: A Novel about a King, a Queen, and a Joker - Louis Sachar

This book gave me a whole new insight into reading. It was like a cake that every time you took a slice you dived into more layers that you never knew could or would be there. The protagonist is a boy who has been under the impression that his uncle is his most favourite person in the world, this impression is given by his greedy and unconcerned parents; why? His uncle is rich and old, that means inheritance and money, you know what they say; time is money and in this case the uncle hasn’t got much time and thus the greedy parents can get more money. Less time=more money.

The main story, on a scale of 1 to chocolate is like a 7.5, it’s well structured and written but it lacks depth, we don’t understand many things like the family history and although the protagonist portrays various stories about encounters with his uncle the family picture is still just a blur in my mind nevertheless the story is very good and the stories and characters are well developed to form a real connection with them.

Alton, our main character is very interesting. He displays a teenager that doesn’t understand life completely, his illusion of his uncle shapes him into a boy that has been told to love someone because he has money but upon meeting his uncle he discovers the real uncle; Trapp, this causes Alton to discover him as a person that he likes for real not just as an act. Toni is a supposed crazy freak according to his family (again) but Alton begins to like her…a lot, a friendship forms between them and they soon find themselves between Alton’s best friend but do they really care?. Alton’s sister Leslie seems like the only one who truly knows herself; she is the curious and smart little sister that gets herself involved with Alton’s bridge playing new obsession, her personality allows her to become an important character; the listener towards Alton’s various comments and stories about bridge.

Louis Sachar took a massive risk writing a book on bridge for teens, who was going to read it? If you’re reading Sachar for the first time then this book should not be the first one you read; you won’t understand his style unless you read “Holes” first.

This story covers many subjects from: the importance of money, love, family life, friends and bridge. I suggest you give this book a go if you’re willing to delve into a new style and read something out of your comfort zone.

I was beginning to get concerned by falling pianos.